Social justice is about the distribution of society's benefits and burdens. Social justice is about addressing the unfair outcomes that result from the coming together of social inequalities 和 institutions.
Children, youth 和 lifecourse
We promote social justice in our focus on the inequalities and injustices negotiated by children 和 young people.
Poverty, welfare 和 social class
Our commitment to social justice includes drawing attention to issues of poverty, welfare inequalities 和 socio-economic marginalisation.
Gender, sexuality 和 relationships
We are dedicated to exploring diverse genders and sexualities. We press 对于 social justice when it comes to gender equality 和 LGBT+ rights.
Health, well-being 和 care
We underpin our focus on health, well-being 和 care with the promotion of social justice. We tackle health inequalities across people's lifecourses.
Housing, neighbourhood 和 region
We are committed to demonstrating the consequences of housing inequalities. Our work also promotes place-based (territorial) justice.
Peace, reconciliation 和 human rights
We are devoted to promoting human rights 和 peace. This includes opportunities 对于 reconciliation as advanced by Dr Martin Luther King.
We are committed to embedding principles of social justice in all that we do here at 新城堡.
Dean of 社会正义
Professor Peter Hopkins 是个 University Dean of 社会正义. Professor Hopkins provides focused strategic leadership on social justice and works to embed this within our teaching, research 和 engagement activities.
The Dean co-chairs the 社会正义 Advisory Group with the University’s Engagement Manager.
- 电子邮件： firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: +44 (0)191 208 3924
The 社会正义 Advisory Group steers the University’s strategy in addressing social justice issues. Membership of the Advisory Group includes representatives from the voluntary, community and social enterprise sector as well as academic and professional services staff 和 学生们。
- Parveen Akhtar (Angelou Centre)
- Victoria Armstrong (CEO, Disability North)
- Anne Bonner (CEO, Riverside Community Health Project)
- Barbara Douglas (Elders Council of 新城堡)
- Georgina Fletcher (Chief Officer, Regional Refugee Forum North East)
- Anne Fry (Deputy Chief Executive, Voluntary Organisations’ Network North East)
- Tom Johnston (Chief Executive, Glendale Gateway Trust)
- Sarah Longl和s (Director, IPPR North)
- Neil Munslow MBE (Service Manager: Active Inclusion, 新城堡 City Council)
- Siobhan O’Neil (CEO, Cygnus Support)
- Mark Pierce (Director Of Community Knowledge And Funding, Community Foundation)
- Elaine Slater (CEO, Tyneside Women’s Health)
- Aby Tayeb (Project Manager, Islamic Diversity Centre)
Professional services staff members
- Bob Allan (Engagement Support Co-ordinator, Corporate Affairs)
- Lucy 背部hurst (Director Student Recruitment, Admissions and Progress, Student 和 Academic Services)
- Trevor Bed对于d (Head of Engagement and Enterprise, Faculty of Humanities 和 Social Sciences)
- Katie Blundell (Students Union 志愿服务 Manager, 新城堡 University Students Union)
- Brett Cherry (Science Communications and Marketing Manager, Faculty of Science, Agriculture 和 Engineering)
- Eve Forrest (Impact Officer, Faculty of Humanities 和 Social Sciences)
- Jenny Hasenfuss (Engagement Manager (Patient 和 Public Involvement), Institute 对于 Cellular Medicine)
- Andrea Henderson (Engagement Manager, Corporate Affairs)
- Vijaya Kotur (种族平等 Officer, Human Resources)
- Marc Lintern (Director of Student Experience, Student 和 Academic Services)
- Dr Vi Parker (研究 和 Impact Facilitator)
- Lucy Pritchard (校友 Relations Manager, Corporate Affairs)
- Alex Robson (Institutes Officer, Faculty of Humanities 和 Social Sciences)
- Daniel Barwick (PhD student)
- Sara Elkhawad (Welfare 和 Equality Officer, NUSU)
Academic staff members
- Dr Alison Atkinson-Phillips (研究 Associate in the School of History, Classics 和 Archaeology)
- Professor Deborah Chambers (Professor of Media and Cultural Studies in the School of Arts 和 Culture)
- Dr Jenny Davidson (Senior Lecturer in Leader Development 和 Organisation Futures)
- Dr Elena Katselli (Senior Lecturer in the Law School)
- Dr Ahmed Kharrufa (Lecturer in Human-Computer Interaction in the School of Computing)
- Dr Karen Laing (Senior 研究 Associate in the School of Education, Communication 和 Language Sciences)
- Dr Ruth McAreavey (Senior Lecturer in Sociology in the School of Geography, Politics 和 Sociology)
- Dr Suzanne Moffatt (Reader in Social Gerontology in the Population Health Sciences Institute)
- Dr Anil Namdeo (Reader in Air Quality Management in the School of Engineering)
- Professor Rachel Pain (Professor of Human Geography in the School of Geography, Politics 和 Sociology)
- Professor Tracy Shildrick (Professor of Inequalities in the School of Geography, Politics 和 Sociology)
- Professor Sally Shortall (Duke of Northumberland Chair of Rural Economy in the School of Natural 和 Environmental Sciences)
- Professor Mark Shucksmith (Professor of Planning in the School of Architecture, Planning and L和scape)
- Professor Liz Todd (Professor of Educational Inclusion in the School of Education, Communication 和 Language Sciences)
The 新城堡 University 社会正义 Fund is currently closed. Contact email@example.com for queries 和 in对于mation on future deadlines.
The Fund is developing a portfolio of successful relationships between the University and the Voluntary, Community 和 Social Enterprise (VCSE) sector. Funded projects will focus on key social justice issues. They will take a long-term view to enhancing the relationship between 新城堡 University 和 the VCSE sector.
We are particularly interested in applications that will contribute to meaningful 和 mutually beneficial relationships between the University and VCSE partners 和 that are co-produced.
2019 - 2020大奖
- Forest School 对于 wellbeing: addressing children 和 young people's mental health
- Scotswood Garden collaborating with Lucy Tiplady, School of Education, Communication 和 Language Sciences
- Developing a User Led Support Network 对于 Disabled People 和 Personal Assistants: Recognising the Value of Interdependent Care
- Disability North collaborating with Professor Janice McLaughlin, School of Geography, Politics 和 Sociology
- Reducing farm fatalities and accidents in Engl和
- Farm Safety Foundation collaborating with Professor Sally Shortall, Centre 对于 Rural Economy, School of Natural 和 Environmental Sciences
- Environmental Justice Network Irel和
- Friends of the Earth Northern Irel和 collaborating with Ciara Brennan, 新城堡 Law School
- Supporting Roma in 新城堡: Access to Higher Education
- Roma Right Path Project collaborating with Dr Heather Smith, School of Education, Communication 和 Language Sciences
- Inclusive and Safe Spaces: Transgender and Non-Binary Survivors 和 Domestic Abuse Services
- Tyneside Women’s Health and Cygnus Support collaborating with Professor Rachel Pain, School of Geography, Politics 和 Sociology
- Into the Swim of Things: Well-being in older adults in North Tyneside, a case-study
- Panama Swimming Club collaborating with Dr Simon Woods, Policy, Ethics 和 Life Sciences
- Beyond 2020: A vision 对于 the People’s Kitchen at 35 years
- People’s Kitchen collaborating with Dr Ruth McAreavey, School of Geography, Politics 和 Sociology
- Building the foundations of a youth-led mental health campaign towards ending AIDS by 2030
- Youth Stop AIDS collaborating with Nadege Sandrine Uwamahoro, Institute of Health 和 Society
- The West End Refugee Service at 20 (1999-2019): Building Sanctuary in Complex Times
- West End Refugee Service collaborating with Dr Silvia Pasquetti and Professor Cathrine Degnen, School of Geography, Politics 和 Sociology
- The investigation of allegations of torture: Towards a more effective framework
- International Bar Association’s Human Rights Institute collaborating with Professor Gavin Oxburgh, School of Psychology
2018 - 2019年的奖项
- Foodbank Histories
- Northern Cultural Projects CIC and 新城堡 West End Foodbank collaborating with Dr Alison Atkinson-Phillips, Oral History Unit 和 Collective
- Growing up in Disadvantaged Neighbourhoods: Young People, Place and Belonging in Southwick, Sunderl和
- Southwick Neighbourhood Youth Project collaborating with Dr Robin Finlay, School of Geography, Politics 和 Sociology, 新城堡 University
- Shieling: Co-designing a community research hub
- Shieldfield Artworks (SAW) collaborating with Dr Julia Heslop, School of Architecture, Planning and L和scape
- Workie Ticket Theatre Company collaborating with Dr Alice Cree, School of Geography, Politics 和 Sociology
- Tribalism is Killing Us (TIKU): A Collaborative 研究 Plat对于m 和 Film
- Bridge + Tunnel Productions collaborating with Dr. Tina Gharavi, School of English, Language 和 Linguistics
- Tackling Loneliness through Playing Out
- Playing Out CIC collaborating with Professor Alison Stenning, School of Geography, Politics 和 Sociology
- Girl Kind Screen Takeover
- Little Big Butterfly collaborating with Dr Sarah Winkler-Reid, School of Geography, Politics 和 Sociology
- Campus-Community Engagement
- VODA (Voluntary Organisations Development Agency) North Tyneside collaborating with Dr Helen Jarvis, School of Geography, Politics 和 Sociology
新城堡 University is proud to support equal access to higher education and is pleased to offer Sanctuary scholarships consisting of full tuition fee support 和 a bursary for living expenses 对于 applicants wishing to study at the University.
The scholarships have been designed to enable students from asylum-seeker 和 refugee backgrounds to progress to higher level study.